What are Credit Points? 

Each subject offered by the University has a credit point value. Credit points for subjects vary depending on the degree.

All majors have credit point requirements as do all degrees. For a single degree, you will need to complete 144 credit points and for most double degrees, 216 credit points.

top of page

What is a Major?

A major is a program of study that consists of a minimum number of credit points. Check your major requirements in the Course Handbook for the year that you enrolled in your degree.

You can take two majors (commonly called a double major) in your degree. You can choose two majors from within the degree schedule or choose majors from other Schools around UOW. As long as your first major is taken from within the degree schedule (e.g. in the Bachelor of Arts, Sociology), you can complete a second major from another School, provided you meet the requirements for that major.

If the two majors chosen have common subjects at any level, you may count one subject twice towards the requirements of both majors but may only count the credit points once towards the credit points required for the degree. If in doubt, contact the Faculty Central.

There is no limit to the number of majors you can complete, but remember that to complete the major you must satisfy all requirements in the Course Handbook. It may take longer to complete your degree with more majors.

All majors appear on your testamur awarded at graduation.

top of page

What is a Minor?

A minor is a concentrated area of study that requires fewer credit points than a major. It is a useful way of rounding out, or supplementing, a major. In a language area, for example, a minor could be useful if you want proficiency, but not necessarily fluency, in a language. However, you should note that you cannot cross count subjects from a nominated minor into any other major or minor. Minors do not appear on your testamur but do appear on your transcript (i.e. your academic record).

top of page

What is a Double Degree?

A double degree allows you to combine areas of interest and specialisation that suit your future careers and in some areas.

Through a double degree, you’ll complete two degrees in less time than it would take to complete two separate degrees.

The time required varies from degree to degree. Most take between 4.5 and 5 years. A complete list of double degrees is available through the Course Handbook.

top of page

What Does 100, 200 and 300 Mean?

Each subject has a numbered suffix, for example ENGL120. The suffix indicates the level of study: 100 level subjects are first year subjects; 200 level subjects are second year subjects; 300 level subjects are third year subjects. You may enrol in a 100, 200 or 300 level subject at any time throughout your degree as long as you meet the prerequisites for the subject. Check the Subject Descriptions Database for subject information including prerequisites.

top of page

Why am I Provisionally Enrolled in a Subject?

If you have enrolled into a subject, and it is showing a 'provisional' status in SOLS, it means you have not satisfied all requirements to enrol in that subject . If you think you have grounds for a waiver, you can apply via SOLS.

More information about Provisional Enrolment >

top of page

How do I Appeal a Mark?

The first thing you should do is contact the person who marked your work, usually your tutor. Ask them to discuss the result with you. In almost every case, you will find that this clarifies the situation for you. If however you are still concerned, you may appeal the mark. If you want to proceed with an appeal, refer to the LHA Academic Complain Procedure.

top of page

How do I Appeal a Final Result?

If you wish to appeal a final result, refer to the LHA Academic Complaint Procedure.

top of page

What if I Have Other Complaints?

If you have any other complaints, you should try to resolve your concern informally by approaching the person(s) directly involved to discuss the matter. If you wish to take the matter further, refer to the LHA Academic Complaint Procedure. 

top of page

What is Late Withdrawal Without Penalty?

There are times when, despite the best intentions in the world, circumstances intervene that prevent you completing a subject and the results show a fail for the subject. In these circumstances, you can apply for a late withdrawal without penalty which means that the subject is withdrawn from your record. You can apply by filling in the Application for Late Withdrawal without Academic Penalty form. But note that applications for late withdrawal without penalty are subject to strict deadlines, require comprehensive documentation and are only given in exceptional circumstances.

top of page

Can I Change my Degree?

Yes, you can by completing the Application to Vary Course Registration form and submitting it to Student Central. From there it is sent to the relevant Head of School for consideration.

top of page

What if I Need Extra Help with my Studies?

Feedback on your assessment tasks may suggest that you need some extra assistance in order to develop your academic skills, either in research or writing. The University’s Student Services Centre at the Wollongong campus (02 4221 3977) exists to provide assistance to students in all aspects of academic study skills. Make sure you ring first to make an appointment.

top of page

What if I Have a Disability?

Students with disabilities are encouraged to register with the University’s Disability Liaison Officer. Disability Services provides a comprehensive overview of the resources and policies which enable the University to support students whose studies may be affected by permanent or temporary disability. In particular, students may occasionally need to request reasonable accommodation of their disability in terms of assessment tasks. Your Student Support Adviser will assist you to register and explain the assistance that can be provided.

top of page

What do I do if I Have Used up my Internet Quota?

Your internet quota is governed by conditions set out by UOW's Information Management & Technology Services (IMTS). If you feel that you have not breached the internet use conditions, apply for an increase on the IMTS website. If your quota has been used for study related matters an increase will normally be granted. If you have used your quota for recreational matters, no increase will be approved.

top of page

What is Honours?

Honours is a fourth year of study. It offers you the opportunity to study a chosen discipline or interdisciplinary area in depth and to undertake a personalised research project working closely with a supervisor who is an established expert in the field of study being undertaken. Honours can be seen as the end of your undergraduate study or as an entry point for postgraduate research.

top of page

What do I Need to do to Graduate?

To graduate, you need to have met the requirements of any major studied and the credit point requirements for the degree. It is recommended that you keep a check on your credit point tally. You can complete more than the minimum credit points required for a degree but never less than the minimum, even if it is 2 credit points. 

How to Apply to Graduate.

top of page

Last reviewed: 17 March, 2016