Dr Vicki Crinis
Australian Post-Doctoral Research Fellow
BA(Hons) University of Wollongong; PhD University of Wollongong
Globalisation Mobility and Development: Labour migration, regulation and work; and bordered exclusions
Asia Pacific Histories: migration and mobility; labour; and gender
The Clothing Industry in the Asia Pacific
- Case study of the garment industry in Malaysia
- CSR and corporate social responsibility in garment commodity chains.
- Social development and social upgrading in global production. Can Global Value Chain (GVC) and Global Production Network (GPN) approach still make a useful contribution?
Labour, Labour Movements and Labour Migration
- International labour migration and global commodity chains
- Malaysian trade unions, NGOs and Christian social movements
- Non-traditional forms of labour movement organisation.
- Malaysian women and work from colonial to post colonial
Current Research Projects
The clothing industry in the Asia Pacific: Managing constant change (ARC Discovery Project with Professor Adrian Vickers, Dr Katherine Hannan, A/P Ruchira Ganguly Scrase, A/P Melanie Beresford, Professor Bimand Prasad Chand and A/P Angie Ngoc Tran)
Vietnamese workers in Malaysia (with Angie Ngoc Tran)
Fashion, Consumption and Informality in the Clothing industry in Australia, India and Malaysia (with A/P Ruchira Ganguly Scrase, Dr Belinda Green and A/P Tim Scrase)
- Vicki Crinis and Balakrishnan Parasuraman (April 2016) "Employment Relations and the State in Malaysia" Journal of Industrial Relations, Special Issue 58 (2).
- Rajah Rasiah, Vicki Crinis and Lee Hwok Aun, (2015) “Industrialisation and Labour in Malaysia,” Journal of Asia Pacific Economy, 20 (1) 77-99.
- Vicki Crinis (2014) ‘Continuities and Dis continuities: The Gendered Experiences of Malay Workers and Migrant Workers in the Manufacturing Industries of Malaysia” in Intersections, Gender and Sexuality in the Asia Pacific, Issue 36
- Vicki Crinis, (2013) “Vietnamese Migrant Clothing Workers in Malaysia” in Juanita Elias and Samanthi (eds) The Global Political Economy of the Household in Asia, Hampshire. Palgrave Macmillan pp. 162-177.
- Vicki Crinis. (2012) “Global commodity chains in crisis: the garment industry in Malaysia, the before, the now and the here after”, Institutions and Economies 4 (3) 61-81.
- Vicki Crinis. (2012) “The Challenges of Fieldwork: Researchers, Clothing Manufacturers and Workers”, Sojourn: Journal of Social Issues in SEA, 27 (1) 168-189.
- Vicki Crinis (2010) “Sweat or No Sweat: Foreign Workers in the Garment Industry in Malaysia”, Journal of Contemporary Asia, 40 (4) 589-611.
- Crinis, V. (2008) Malaysia: Women, Labour Activism and Unions In Kaye Broadbent and Michele Ford (eds). Women and Labour Organizing In Asia: Diversity, Autonomy and Activism. London and New York: Routledge/Curzon.
- (2005) ‘The Devil You Know: Malaysian Perceptions of Foreign Workers' Review of Indonesian and Malaysian Affairs, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 91-111
- (2004) ‘Pink-Collared Workers and the Family in Modernising Malaysia: A Case Study of the Garment Industry' in Thang Leng Leng and Wei-Hsin Yu (eds), Women, Work and Family in Changing Asia, Singapore / University of Singapore Press
- (2003) ‘Innovations in Trade Union Approaches in Malaysia's Garment Industry,' Journal of Industrial Relations. 14 (1): 80-89
- (2001) ‘The Stratification of the Garment and Textile Industries and Labour Movements in Malaysia.' in Nicola Piper and Dong Sook Gills (eds) Women and Work in Industrialising Asia, London: Routledge
- (2000) Vicki Crinis, Jan Elliott, Michele Ford and Adrian Vickers with Lyn Fisher, The Garment Industry in the Asia-Pacific: Issues Facing Australia, Indonesia and Malaysia, CEDA Information Paper No. 72. Wollongong: Capstrans
- Crinis Vicki and A/P Angie Ngoc Tran 2009 ‘Vietnamese migrant labour in Malaysia: Harsh realities and transnational solidarity building between nations and generations’. Seminar paper presented at Vietnamese Update, ANU Canberra, Australia November 18-19.
- Crinis Vicki. 2009. Social transformations in Southeast Asia: The case of the garment industry and labour migration in Malaysia’ Seminar paper presented at the SINET Social Innovation Network Conference, September 28 -29, Novotel North Wollongong
- Crinis Vicki. 2009. Panel Organiser ‘Labour- intensive Manufacturing and Flexible workers in the Global Garment Industry’
Paper title Malaysian Garment Industry: Workers surviving the ‘not so level playing field’. Seminar Paper presented at the International Conference of Asian Scholars ICAS6 Deajon Korea, August 5-9
- Crinis Vicki. 2009 Title: Transnational labour migration: ‘lived realities’ of workers in labour-intensive manufacturing industries in Malaysia, Seminar paper presented at The 9th Conference of the Asia Pacific Sociological Association, Bali, June 13-15.
- Crinis Vicki and A/P Angie Ngoc Tran 2008 ‘Vietnamese Foreign Workers in the Garment Industry in Malaysia’ Seminar paper presented at Vietnamese Update, ANU Canberra, Australia November 6-7.
- Crinis Vicki. 2008. ‘Sweat or No Sweat: Workers in the Garment Industry in Malaysia’. Paper presented at the 8th ASEAN Inter-University Conference on Social Development Century Park Hotel, Manila, Philippines May 28-31.
- Crinis Vicki. 2007. ‘Brand Name manufacturers and Corporate Social Responsibility in the Garment Industry in Malaysia’. Paper presented at the Sociology Conference, Evergreen Laurel, Penang, Malaysia November 19-21.
- Crinis Vicki. 2007. ‘Brand Name manufacturers, Codes of Conduct and Foreign Workers in Medium to Large Garment Factories in Malaysia’. Paper presented at the International Conference of Asian Scholars ICAS5, Traders Hotel Kuala Lumpur August 5-9
- Crinis Vicki. 2006. ‘The Garment Industry and Foreign Workers in Malaysia’. Paper presented at the 16 Biennial Conference of the Asian Studies Association of Australia, Asia Reconstructed, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia, June 26-29.
- Crinis Vicki. 2005. ‘Female Unionism in the Malaysian Garment Industry’. Paper presented at the 8th Women in Asia Conference, University of Technology, September 26-28, Sydney, NSW Australia.
- Crinis, Vicki. 2005. ‘Transnational Histories: Migrant Workers in Colonial Malaya’. Paper presented at the International Convention of Asian Scholars 4, Exhibition Centre, August 20-24, Shanghai, China.
- Crinis, Vicki. and Adrian Vickers 2005 ‘Approaches to the Study of the Garment Industry in the Asia Pacific’. Paper presented at the International Convention of Asian Scholars 4, Exhibition Centre, August 20-24, Shanghai, China
- Crinis, Vicki. 2004. ‘History Repeating Itself: Migrant Labour in Malaysia's Sex Industry.’ Paper presented at the 15th Biennial Conference of the Asian Studies Association of Australia, June 29 - July 2, Canberra, ACT Australia
- Crinis, Vicki. 2004. "Overcoming Enmity amongst the Workers? A Critical Examination of the MTUC's Stance on the Migrant Worker Question in Malaysia" Paper presented at the Association of Industrial Relations Academics of Australia and New Zealand Conference (AIRAAZ), Noosa Heads, Queensland.
- Asia Pacific Sociological Association
- Asian Studies Association of Australia
- Malaysian Studies Association