Professor Vera Mackie
BA (Hons), MA (Monash), PhD (Adelaide)
Phone: +61 2 4221 3179
Professor Vera Mackie is Associate Dean, Research and Senior Professor of Asian Studies in the School of Humanities and Social Inquiry at the University of Wollongong. She is Director of the Centre for Critical Human Rights Research.
She is Chief Investigator with Sarah Ferber and Nicola Marks, on an Australian Research Council Discovery Project on 'IVF and New Reproductive Technologies: The Global Experience' (2015 - 2017) and Chief Investigator, with Diane Kirkby, Tanya Fitzgerald and Tangerine Holt on an Australian Research council Linkage Project on 'Fostering Women Leaders through Educational Exchange, 1930-1980'.
She has held an Australian Research Council Future Fellowship focusing on ‘From Human Rights to Human Security: Changing Paradigms for Dealing with Inequality in the Asia-Pacific’ Region (2010–2014) and an Australian Research Council Australian Professorial Fellowship (2004–2009) focusing on ‘The Cultural History of the Body in Modern Japan’.
Vera has varied teaching, research, administrative and supervisory experience in the fields of Japanese language and linguistics, Japanese history, gender studies and cultural studies. She supervises research in Asian Studies. gender and sexuality studies, cultural studies, citizenship studies and human rights research.
In addition to previous positions at Swinburne, the University of Adelaide, the University of Melbourne and Curtin University, she has been a Visiting Professor at Victoria University, University of Queensland, Ochanomizu University and Hitotsubashi University and has held fellowships at New York University, the National University of Singapore, the University of the Philippines, Chūō University, the Australian National University and a Harold White Fellowship at the National Library of Australia.
Vera is a former National Co-Convener of the Australian Women’s History Network and a Board Member of the International Federation for Research in Women's History.
Mark McLelland and Vera Mackie (eds) The Routledge Handbook of Sexuality Studies in East Asia, London: Routledge, 2015
Special Issues of Journals:
- Special Issue on Rethinking Sexual Citizenship: Asia-Pacific Perspectives, Sexualities, Volume 20, Nos 1–2, 2017, edited by Vera Mackie.
- Special Issue on Art and Activism in Post-Disaster Japan, The Asia-Pacific Journal: Japan Focus, Volume 13, No 6, edited by Alexander Brown and Vera Mackie, 2015.
- Special Issue on Human Rights in Asia, Asian Studies Review, edited by Vera Mackie, Volume 37, No 3, 2013.
- Special Issue on The Cultural Politics of the City in Modern Japan, Japanese Studies, December 2011, edited by Vera Mackie.
- Special Issue on Performing Globalisation, Intersections: Gender and Sexuality in Asia and the Pacific, No 23, January 2010, edited by Vera Mackie and Mark Pendleton.
- Special Issue on Globalisation and Body Politics, Asian Studies Review, September 2009, edited by Vera Mackie and Carolyn S. Stevens,
- Special Issue on The Space Between: Languages, Translations, Cultures, Portal: Journal of Multidisciplinary International Studies, 2009. edited by Vera Mackie, Ikuko Nakane and Emi Otsuji.
- Special Issue on Gender, Governance and Security in Australia, Asia and the Pacific,Intersections: Gender, History and Culture in the Asian Context, No 15, May 2007, edited by Vera Mackie and Sarah Pinto.
- Feminism in Modern Japan: Citizenship, Embodiment and Sexuality. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003.
- Gurōbaruka to Jendā Hyōshō [Globalisation and Representations of Gender]. Tokyo: Ochanomizu Shobô, 2003.
- Creating Socialist Women in Japan: Gender, Labour and Activism. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1997.
- Carol Johnson, Vera Mackie and Tessa Morris-Suzuki (eds) The Social Sciences in the Asian Century, Canberra: ANU Press, 2015.
- Vera Mackie (ed.) Ways of Knowing about Human Rights in Asia, London Routledge, 2015. [originally published as a special issue of Asian Studies Review].
- Andrea Germer, Vera Mackie and Ulrike Wöhr (eds) Gender, Nation and State in Modern Japan, London: Routledge, 2014.
- Paul Jones and Vera Mackie (eds) Relationships: Japan and Australia, 1870s - 1930s. Melbourne: History Monographs and RMIT Publishing, 2001.
- Anne-Marie Hildson, Martha Macintyre, Vera Mackie, and Maila Stivens, (eds) Human Rights and Gender Politics: Asia-Pacific Perspectives. London: Routledge, 2000.