Awards, Prizes and Rankings
At UOW, we’re proud of our achievements and recognition. For a full list, see UOW Awards and Rankings.
- The number 1 University in New South Wales
- Ranked in the Top 2% of universities in the world.
- Globally ranked as one of Australia's best modern universities
- Globally rated a Five-Star university
- Top 1% in the world for global graduates
The Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) is a Federal Government website that helps prospective students easily compare the study experience and employment outcomes from Australian higher education institutions. Students can also compare the different study of different institutions, with all results based on thousands of surveys completed by students across Australia.
Number one University in New South Wales
Along with other recent awards and rankings, the QILT has ranked UOW as:
- Highest ranked university in NSW in QILT 2018
- Highest rank in NSW/ACT universities in eight study areas in QILT 2018
- First in NSW/ACT for Learning Resources, Learner Engagement, Skills Development and Generic Skills on QILT 2018.
Faculty of Law, Humanities and the Arts
- The best in NSW/ACT for Communications
- The best in NSW/ACT for Law
- The best in NSW/ACT for Humanities
- The best in NSW/ACT for Creative Arts
UOW was rated Australia's leading public university for the student experience in the 2018 Good Universities Guide.
UOW is one of only two Australian universities - and the only publicly funded university - to achieve a clean 5-star sweep of all student experience measure in the 2018 Good Universities Guide:
***** Student retention
***** Overall experience
***** Learner engagement
***** Learning resources
***** Skill development
***** Student support
***** Teaching quality
UOW is top in the country for Skills Development and Learner Engagement in the Creative Arts field of study.
UOW claimed a five-star rating across every student experience category in the fields of The Humanities, Culture and Social Sciences.
One of the ways we celebrate the achievements of our students is to showcase them at our annual Awards Ceremonies. Academic excellence is recognised with awards offered by the Faculty and by a number of sponsors during these events. It reflects the ongoing good will of our sponsors as well as the Faculty’s growth in students and outstanding quality over recent years.
We would like to recognise the awards sponsors and our staff for their ongoing support in fostering academic excellence and by making the annual awards ceremonies a continuing success.
Administered by the Australian Research Council, ERA is an assessment system that evaluates the quality of the research conducted at Australian universities by discipline. ERA uses committees of internationally-recognised researchers to evaluate disciplinary excellence in Australian universities relative to a world standard. For more information go to Excellence in Research Australia (ERA).
2015 ERA Ranking Results
- Ranking 4 - Above World Standard
- Law and Legal Studies
- Literary Studies
- Ranking 3 - At World Standard
- Studies In Creative Arts and Writing
- Performing Arts and Creative Writing
- Visual Arts and Crafts
- Communication and Media Studies
The next figures for ERA will be available in 2018.