2017 Goldring Lecture
The 2017 Goldring Lecture will be presented by Professor John McMillan AO, Acting NSW Ombudsman.
Professor McMillan has been appointed Acting NSW Ombudsman since August 2015. He was previously the inaugural Australian Information Commissioner (2010-15), Commonwealth Ombudsman (2003-2010) and the Integrity Commissioner (Acting) for the Australian Commission for Law Enforcement Integrity (2007).
Date: Friday 13 October 2017
Time: 5.45 - 7.00pm
RSVP: Online by Friday 6 October
Light refreshments will be available at the conclusion of the lecture in the McKinnon foyer, Building 67.
The annual Goldring Lecture honours Jack Goldring (1943-2009), UOW’s foundation Dean of Law.
Jack was a man motivated by social justice, an educator and leader in the university sector, a distinguished law reformer, and a highly regarded judge of the District Court of NSW.
Jack Goldring Memorial Scholarship
In conjunction with the Goldring Lecture, the UOW School of Law awards an annual $10,000 Goldring Memorial Scholarhip to a student who combines academic excellence with a demonstrated commitment to social justice.
Students interested in applying for the scholarship can do so via the Scholarships website. Applications close 10 September.
Anyone interested in contributing to the scholarship is invited to make a donation to the Jack Goldring Memorial Fund.
The 2017 Goldring Lecture will be Law’s seventh annual Goldring Lecture. Previous lecturers include:
- 2016 - Her Excellency Professor the Honourable Kate Warner AM, Governor of Tasmania
Transitions: moving on from the legal academy and law reform
- 2015 - Professor Rosalind Croucher AM, President of the Australian Law Reform Commission
Jack Goldring: A man for all seasons
- 2014 - The Hon. Justice Virginia Bell AC, Justice of the High Court of Australia
Some tensions in the administration of criminal justice
- 2013 - The Hon. Michael Kirby AC CMG, former Justice of the High Court of Australia
Jack Goldring, legal education and access to a most unusual profession
- 2012 - The Hon. Susan Ryan AO, Age Discrimination Commissioner & former Federal Minister
The law and human rights protection
- 2011 - The Hon. Robert French AC, Chief Justice of the High Court of Australia
The judicial function in an age of statutes