Dr Susan Engel
BA (Hons), MA (ANU), PhD (UOW)
Phone: 02 4221 3708
Susan is the Discipline Leader of Politics and International studies and she lectures in the areas of development, international studies, global politics and international political economy. Her research interests are broadly in the area of international political economy, specifically development theory and practices, aid and food. She has a strong interest in Southeast Asia, which is the area of her book with Routledge: The World Bank and the Post-Washington Consensus in Vietnam and Indonesia: Inheritance of Loss (2010).
Susan worked in the government, community, and aid sectors before becoming an academic and she continues to play an active role in issues of aid and development through advocacy work. Since 2002, she has been a board member of Indigo Foundation; a small, not-for-profit organisation funding community development projects in developing countries.
Potential Topics for HDR & Honours Supervision
- The political economy of development and aid
- Non-government and civil society organisation working in development
- The international financial institutions
- Development in Southeast Asia
- Indonesia politics
- The political economy of food
Current Research Projects
- A history of aid critiques
- Political economy of development and aid in Indonesia
- South-South and triangular cooperation
- Political economy of food and local food systems
- Sanitation and development
- Engel, Susan. "The Not-So-Great Aid Debate", Third World Quarterly 35(8) 2014: 1374-1389
- Engel, Susan. The World Bank and the Post-Washington Consensus in Indonesia and Vietnam: Inheritance of Loss, Routledge, 2010.
- Engel, Susan and Susilo, Anggun. “Shaming and Sanitation in Indonesia – a return to colonial public health practices?” Development and Change 45(1) 2014: 57–178
- Georgeou. Nichole and Engel, Susan. “The Impact of Neoliberalism and ‘New Managerialism’ on Development Volunteering: An Australian Case Study”, Australian Journal of Political Science 46(2) 2011: 297-311
- Engel, Susan. “From Theory to Practice in Development” in G. Argyrous and F. Stilwell (eds) Readings in Political Economy: Economics as a Social Science 3rd ed (Tilda University Press, 2011)
- Engel, Susan. “Development Economics: Classical, Neoclassical, Critical” in R.A. Denemark (ed), The International Studies Compendium Project, Oxford: International Studies Association and Blackwell Publishing, 2010.
- Engel, Susan. “International Financial Institutions and regionalism: the case of Southeast Asia.” Australian Journal for International Affairs 64(1), February 2010: 55-69.
- Engel, Susan. Review Essay, “Giovanni Arrighi, Adam Smith and China: Lineages of the Twenty-First Century.” Critical Asian Studies, 40(2) 2008: 323-330 (approx. 3,800 words).
- Engel, Susan. “Hegemony and the World Bank in Vietnam.” In Richard Howson and Kylie Smith (eds.) Hegemony: Studies in Consensus and Coercion (Routledge Press, 2008).