Associate Professor John McQuilton
BA (Hons), PhD (Melb)
Telephone: 02 4221 3748
Location: 19: 2054
John McQuilton hails from Yackandandah, Victoria. He is an Associate Professor in the School of History and Politics at the University of Wollongong, where he has been teaching Australian History since 1991. John was Head of History and Politics from 1996 to 2002. In the second half of 1998 he was Visiting Chair (The A. Linsay O'Connor Chair of American Institutions) at the Colgate University, Hamilton, NY.
John completed a BA (Hons) at the University of Melbourne in 1971, and a PhD at the same university in 1977. Prior to taking up his appointment at the University of Wollongong, he taught in other universities across Australia, and from 1979-1988 was the Assistant General Editor for the Reference Section of the 10 volume project, 'Australians: A Historical Library'.
In 1978 John received a University of Melbourne Book Publication Award. In 1989 the Queensland Branch Royal of the Australasian Geographical Society awarded him a Bronze Medal for his co-authored book Australians: A Historical Atlas (1988). In 1993 John received the University of Wollongong Vice Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching.
John is also a devotee of the world's greatest game, Australian Rules Football, and is a dedicated supporter of the Sydney Swans.
These are varied and include:
- Links between rural settlement lawlessness and folklore, Place and its sense of identity;
- Australian military history, the homefront and commemoration:
- Comparative regional history
He is currently writing on the Boer War, the contested nature of commemoration and war, and revising The Kelly Outbreak for re-publication in 2004.
Potential topics for HDR & Honours Supervision
- Australian regional and local history
- Australian war history
- Australian rural history
Searchable publications from 2000 to date.
- 1979, The Kelly Outbreak: The Geographical Dimensions of Social Banditry, Melbourne University Press, Carlton (reprinted 1987).
- 1981, 'The Legend of Ned Kelly', Overland, 84.
- 1982, 'Australian Bushranging and Social Banditry', Proceedings, Royal Geographical Society of Australasia, South Australian Branch, 82.
- 1982, with Camm, J C R and Yorke, S, Australian Cernsus Maps, 1901, HPI, Kensington, 1982.
- 1983, with Collins, D, Guide to Maps in the New South Wales Parliamentary Papers, 1836-1912, HPI, Kensington, 1983.
- 1984, 'The Kelly Country', in Jeans, D N (ed), Australian Historical Landscapes, Allen and Unwin, Sydney.
- 1984, 'European Discovery and Exploration', in The Macquarie Illustrated World Atlas, Weldon, Sydney.
- 1987, with Camm, J C R (eds), Australians: A Historical Atlas, FSW Associates, Sydney.
- 1987, 'District Responses to the War: Yackandandah Shire 1914-1918', Journal of the Australian War Memorial, 11, October.
- 1987, 'Producing an Historical Atlas: the Australian Experience', Cartography, 16, 1.
- 1988, 'Rural Policing, a Regional Example', in Finnane, M (ed), Policing in Australia: Historical Perspectives, University of New South Wales Press, Kensington.
- 1989, 'A Rural Shire at War', in Heathcote, R L (ed), The Australian Experience, Longman Cheshire, Melbourne.
- 1991, 'Teaching Military History in Academe', Journal of the Australian War Memorial, 19, November.
- 1993, 'Comparative Frontiers: Australia and the United States', The Australian Journal of American Studies, 12, 1.
- 1994, Guide to Maps in the South Australian Parliamentary Papers 1852-1971, Historical Geography Monograph No 7, Australian Reference Publications, Bundoora.
- 1997, With Hagan, J, Dispossessed, Diggers and Democrats, Australia 1788 to 1880s, CD Rom, University of Wollongong and Allen and Unwin, Wollongong.
- 1997, 'Yackandandah's war', in Rutherford, A and Wieland, J (eds), War: Australia's Creative Response, Kunapipi/Allen and Unwin/Dangaroo Press, Sydney.
- 1997, 'Settlement' and 'Wollongong at War' in Hagan, J and Wells, A (eds), A History of Wollongong, University of Wollongong Press, Wollongong.
- 1999, 'German Australians in Rural Society 1914-1918', Journal of Australian Studies, 61.
- 2000, 'Doing the back-block boys some good": exemption court hearings in North Eastern Victoria 1916', Historical Studies, 115. Oct.
- 2000, 'Enlistment for the First World War in rural Australia: the case of North Eastern Victoria', Journal of the Australian War Memorial, 33.
- 2001, Rural Australia and the Great War: from Tarrawingee to Tangambalanga, Melbourne University Press, Carlton.
- 2001, with Kelson, B, Kelly Country: A Photographic Journey, University of Queensland Press, St Lucia.
- 2001, 'Community 1940-1980' in Hagan, J and Lee, H (eds), A History of Work and Community in Wollongong: 1888-2000, Halstead Press.
- 2003, 'Gallipoli as Contested Commemeorative Space: The Peninsula and Australia', in McLeod, J. (ed.), Gallipoli: Making History, Frank Cass, London.